"I'll Be Back Soon": Marco Penge Steps Away From Golf to Focus on Health After PGA Championship Exit

February 22, 2026, Pacific Palisades, California, USA: Marco Penge walks onto the 9th green during Round 4 of the 2026 Genesis Invitational Golf Tournament on Sunday February 22, 2026 at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, California. ARIANA RUIZ/PI Pacific Palisades USA - ZUMAp124 20260222_zaa_p124_224 Copyright: xArianaxRuizx
February 22, 2026, Pacific Palisades, California, USA: Marco Penge walks onto the 9th green during Round 4 of the 2026 Genesis Invitational Golf Tournament on Sunday February 22, 2026 at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, California. ARIANA RUIZ/PI Pacific Palisades USA - ZUMAp124 20260222_zaa_p124_224 Copyright: xArianaxRuizx
Marco Penge posted a statement Sunday evening and confirmed he was stepping away from professional golf to focus on his health. He signed off with three words: "I'll be back soon."
The 27-year-old Englishman had just missed the cut at the 108th PGA Championship at Aronimink Golf Club. Rounds of 75 and 77 left him at 12 over for the tournament. The week came after he withdrew from the Myrtle Beach Classic, and the back-to-back struggles convinced him a break was the right call.
The health battle stretches back further than this week. Penge flagged the issue on the eve of the major, explaining a recurring problem involving his ear, neck and nervous system traced back to a viral infection last November.
"This week didn't go the way I wanted to, but that's golf," Penge wrote on Instagram. "Moving forward, I have decided that I am going to take some time off to get my health back to where it needs to be. Thank you for your support as always! I'll be back soon!"
He had undergone an MRI scan on his brain, head and neck just days before the tournament, after experiencing vertigo symptoms.
The scan results brought some relief. "Thankfully, the images were great, and so a few of the doubts I have had have gone away, which is a big relief," he said. "I'm battling to get fully fit again, and hopefully that's not too far away."
Even so, Aronimink was a difficult week. Many people thought the course would favour big hitters, and Penge seemed like a good fit. But the course challenged the long hitters. In the end, Aaron Rai won by three shots after a smart and controlled final round.
Marco Penge: From Race to Dubai Contender to Rookie Year Disrupted
The contrast with where Penge was 12 months ago is stark. His 2025 DP World Tour season was one of the best by a British player in years. He won three times at the Hainan Classic, Danish Golf Championship, and Open de España and pushed Rory McIlroy deep into the Race to Dubai.
"Last week, I decided enough was enough after getting another sinus infection and vertigo symptoms," Penge said ahead of the major. "I proceeded with an MRI scan on my brain, head, and neck and got the results back today."
It was during those end-of-season DP World Tour playoffs that the health problems first appeared. His rookie season on the PGA Tour has been up and down.
Earlier this season, he had to withdraw from the Sony Open. He also pulled out of the Myrtle Beach Classic last week. Because of that, it has been hard for him to find consistency.
Still, there have been some positive moments. Penge made the cut in his first Masters. He also finished tied for fourth at the Valspar Championship in March, which is still his best result this year.
Do you think Penge can come back and fulfil the potential he showed in 2025?
Read more at Daily Golf Club!
Written by

Sneha Abraham
Edited by

Kaamna Dwivedi